Do you ever find yourself amused (and amazed) by peoples' white trash antics?
Sure you do.
Southern Fried White Trash takes a humorous look at the unbelievable mindset of the national subculture (and Southern specialty) we affectionately refer to as "white trash."

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pet Obesity? Are you serious?


I read an article a couple of days ago about the epidemic of pet obesity in our country. Now I love pets (well, dogs anyway). I think we owe animals decency and kindness and responsibility. I do not think we owe them specialty dog food, spa memberships or health insurance. I know, I know, I'm going to make a certain element mad here, but it's just the way I feel.
Someone really wise said at one time – might have been Socrates, Plato…maybe Andy Rooney – that the best measure of a society's compassion is how it treats its animals. I agree – 100%. If we can't find it in our hearts to take care of the least, then what are we worth? I also believe that animals are an entirely separate population from people. There are people who fall in the "least" category – the poor, the disabled...well, that's about it. The legitimately poor and the legitimately disabled. We owe them , but as a society, we kind of screw them. Yes, the Dems love to hand out food stamps and free money, both of which stipulate that the poor and disabled can NEVER work and still receive that help. All that creates is a subgroup within our society that's living on the dole, a subgroup that avoids work and legitimacy at all costs.
Wow, I'm getting off track here. Back to fat pets. All we can do is love our pets and do our best to keep them safe. I had a guy try to sell me pet health insurance just before Christmas. Are you kidding me? You want me to buy health insurance for a dog who spends half his day licking his butt and the other half sniffing another dog's butt? That's germ nirvana. This same dog makes a beeline for the busiest highway near our home every time he escapes out the front door. He is the only thing we've caught with the dozen or so mousetraps we have cleverly hidden around the house (don't call the ASPCA – they're the kind that either stick to him or slam shut on his nose). He has absolutely no sense whatsoever. I'd love the read the fine print on his policy. "Excludes darting in front of cars, diseases contracted from butt sniffing, injuries caused by mousetraps and anything resulting from stupidity." I love this dog to whom I am referring. He is the sweetest, most lovable creature on the planet. But I am not insuring his health. He is a dog.
I cover this topic, sort of, in the book. I talk about how people on opposite ends of the "pet owner" spectrum treat their pets (namely, dogs). Pretty funny stuff. Now I get my dogs immunized, I get them groomed, and I even take care of their teeth. I buy them high quality dog food. Many children in this country can't say they get the same treatment, right?
I love my dogs dearly. They are great company, they're funny, and they love me absolutely unconditionally. I refuse, however, to take them to the gym with me or to buy weight control dog food at $120 a bag. Who gives them the food anyway, huh? Exactly.
Now a cat? I can't help you there. I am not a fan. I do get the idea, though, that a cat will survive way beyond a dog. At the end of time, there will be a cockroach, maybe an alligator, and a cat. And they'll all be fit. With great teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I really appreciate it and invite you back anytime!