Do you ever find yourself amused (and amazed) by peoples' white trash antics?
Sure you do.
Southern Fried White Trash takes a humorous look at the unbelievable mindset of the national subculture (and Southern specialty) we affectionately refer to as "white trash."

Monday, September 20, 2010

On owning a business

OK today's thoughts are random, but relevant in my life anyway hahaha. We own a business – a plumbing business, to be exact. We therefore must employ plumbers and less-trained people to help those plumbers.

I never knew a plumber before I met my husband. I don't think I knew anyone in the construction business before meeting him. He, by the way, is the exception to the rules I am about to define.

Apparently, most people in this business have a history of drug abuse, alcohol abuse, spousal abuse, theft, lying, "oversleeping" and marrying badly. They are also too ignorant to know that they make incredibly good money for people with all these qualifications. Now get this – when you hire one of these guys, you turn over to him a new van, tools, materials and purchasing power. Uh huh, I know. Frightening and yes, it does come back to bite you.

Inevitably, if they get paid on Friday, they're "broke" on Monday and asking to "borrow" from us on Tuesday. "Borrow" is defined as us giving them money, them promising to repay, and then never doing it. Kind of like family "borrowing" money.

Of the probably 80 employees we've had over the past 12 years, we have yet to find one that was a keeper. Sad but true. Now, we have kept a few because they were the lesser of two evils, but still…

We had a new guy start working for us today. My husband took months to screen, interview and eventually hire this guy. Here's to him being another exception to the rule. It could save my husband's sanity and health.

2 comments:

  1. Hope it works out this time! I used to do some hiring in my past work life. Sometimes no matter how careful you are, it isn't enough. Fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks Darla. We've been at this for 12 years. I used to direct a Marketing Dept, but that's a whole different animal.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I really appreciate it and invite you back anytime!