Do you ever find yourself amused (and amazed) by peoples' white trash antics?
Sure you do.
Southern Fried White Trash takes a humorous look at the unbelievable mindset of the national subculture (and Southern specialty) we affectionately refer to as "white trash."

Friday, June 15, 2012


What is it about a little dog?


I did it. I said I wasn’t going to do it, and then I went and did it anyway. I have brought another rescue dog into our home, only this time it isn’t a goofy, 90-lb. lover boy. It’s a 2 lb. princess diva that looks like a miniature fox. All she currently lacks is a teensy diamond-encrusted tiara.


We already have two great dogs, both big ones. At the risk of being branded a dog hoarder, I couldn’t say “no” to this little prima donna. My husband and I gave this a lot of thought to be sure that we weren’t adopting her based on emotion rather than responsibility. Next thing you know, we were packing her into her little carrier and whisking her off to Atlanta.  


The last thing we need in our lives right now is more chaos, another thing to worry about. But there’s just something about a tiny little dog that doesn’t knock you over when barreling down the stairs, or one that can curl up in your lap and become the size of a tennis ball, that’s just so endearing. Don’t get me wrong; we adore our two big dogs. But she needed a home, and I think I needed a tiny little pseudo-baby.


We introduced the little one to the big ones when we arrived back in Atlanta yesterday after a trip to Memphis. Our big male dog, all wags, slobber and love, is intrigued and excited at the prospect of having a new friend to play with. Our big female is more aloof, more reserved in her judgment, than the male. She is suspect of the little dog, and the high-pitched sounds and lightning-fast movements the little one makes get on her nerves. Our big girl slowly approaches, sniffs, backs way and gives the little girl a look like, “Just wait until I get you alone.” The little girl looks right back at the big one as if to say, “Let’s take this outside.”


I believe that, eventually, they’ll all be OK and accepting of one another. We’ll just have to be vigilant until that day comes. Somehow, I’m not surprised that it’s the two females that are having problems co-existing. 


Our veterinarian suggested we immediately rename the new dog, and I’m thinking of calling her “Cosette” (from Les Miserables).  Are there any dog lovers out there who have suggestions for me that might help these two accept each other? My nerves sure could use them.


Carole Townsend is also a Gwinnett Daily Post staff correspondent and author of the recently-released book, “Southern Fried White Trash.” The book takes a humorous look at families and how we behave when thrown together for weddings, funerals and holidays. She has been quoted on msnbc.com, in the LA Times, USA Today and the Christian Science Monitor, been featured on FOX 5 News and CNN, and is often a guest on television and radio shows nationwide. Her next book, “Red Lipstick and Clean Underwear,” is eagerly expected in summer 2012.

1 comment:

  1. whoah this weblog is magnificent i really like reading your articles.
    Stay up the great work! You know, many individuals are hunting around for this info, you can
    help them greatly.
    Also visit my web site ; xyitol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I really appreciate it and invite you back anytime!