Do you ever find yourself amused (and amazed) by peoples' white trash antics?
Sure you do.
Southern Fried White Trash takes a humorous look at the unbelievable mindset of the national subculture (and Southern specialty) we affectionately refer to as "white trash."

Monday, March 19, 2012

Bunnies and chocolate and baskets, oh my!

I went to the supermarket the other day to pick up a few things we needed for a small get-together at our house. A few aisles into the store, I came across the holiday aisle, and it pulsated and glowed with pastel-colored tinfoil, colorful Easter baskets, brightly wrapped egg-shaped candy, hard marshmallow chicks and jelly beans.  Parked at the end of that same aisle was a bargain cart loaded up with Valentine’s Day merchandise, all clearance priced.



I love the holidays, any of them. Maybe it’s because there’s color-coordinated candy that goes along with most of them. I often wonder who thinks up the different themes. I mean think about it; we all know the actual reason for Easter. It’s a day for celebration for Christians everywhere, as well as a day to reflect upon a sorrowful and somber occasion. Who took that and ran with it, coming up with hidden eggs, bunny rabbits and jelly beans as a way to celebrate? I mean I’m not complaining about the candy but still, you have to wonder. Who decided that Easter was the time to dye, then hide, then find, eggs?



I think the most bizzare Easter candy I’ve seen on the shelves is the chocolate crosses, the tools of  crucifixion.  I just can’t do it, even if it’s filled with peanut butter. Somebody got their signals crossed on that one.



I know. I should lighten up.



Carole Townsend is also a Gwinnett Daily Post staff correspondent and author of the recently-released book, “Southern Fried White Trash.” The book takes a humorous look at families and how we behave when thrown together for weddings, funerals and holidays. She has been quoted on msnbc.com, in the LA Times, USA Today and the Christian Science Monitor, been featured on FOX 5 News and CNN, and is often a guest on television and radio shows nationwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I really appreciate it and invite you back anytime!