Do you ever find yourself amused (and amazed) by peoples' white trash antics?
Sure you do.
Southern Fried White Trash takes a humorous look at the unbelievable mindset of the national subculture (and Southern specialty) we affectionately refer to as "white trash."

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Advanced technology? Are we sure?

I have a new car, have I told you that? I love it. It answers my phone. It informs me of upcoming inclement weather. It points out the best restaurants in whatever region I’m in. It tells me if my hair is out of place. It does everything for me except wash dishes, and I’m sure that’s only because I haven’t found the right button for that.


With the onset of cold weather, this car has told me that the tires need air. Like a responsible auto owner, I took my new baby to the dealership in order to comply. You won’t believe what transpired.


The service guy behind the desk told me that the tires I have really need what amounts to air with bigger molecules in order to maintain proper pressure, especially in the cold months.


Say what?


You want to sell me bigger air? I almost laughed, but when I saw that he was serious, I didn’t. Now I don’t know about you, but I think when we’ve come so far technologically that we can a) sell air, and for a lot of money, and b) choose the size of the air molecules, I have to ask myself:  Are we really all that much better off?


Then I started thinking, “How, exactly, will I know that I have in fact purchased bigger air molecules instead of the everyday, run-of-the-mill variety that the masses enjoy? What if I don’t buy the big air, and people find out? Can they tell just by looking at my tires?” I was really starting to stress. The service guy was growing impatient.


I am ashamed to say that I opted to purchase the bigger air. I was too afraid not too. But I left feeling like one of those people who just purchased the Brooklyn Bridge, or who walks out of a room with a KICK ME sign on her back. For all I know, he could have told me he was selling me Happy Thoughts or Good Karma.


The air wasn’t even a different color. I know. I asked to see it.


What do you think? Has technology made our lives more or less complicated?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I really appreciate it and invite you back anytime!