Do you ever find yourself amused (and amazed) by peoples' white trash antics?
Sure you do.
Southern Fried White Trash takes a humorous look at the unbelievable mindset of the national subculture (and Southern specialty) we affectionately refer to as "white trash."

Monday, November 1, 2010

Color and the American Vote

I thought a lot about whether to bring this up here. Color is still such a touchy subject in the United States. I think people are OK one-on-one for the most part, but start TALKING about color and people go crazy! I don't get it but then again, I never did. I never could correlate the color of a person's skin with their intelligence or work ethic or values.

I have been talking with a lot of people over the past month or so, mostly about tomorrow's mid-term elections. It comes with the job. I have been enlightened by some, amused by some and offended by some. Then there are those who scare me. Those people who make me believe we should have to take some kind of test before being admitted into the sacred voting booth.

When someone tells me that they voted (or didn't vote) for a candidate based on the color of the candidate's skin, I cringe. When someone tells me that an elected official is doing a poor job or a great job based on skin color, I cringe. All that tells me is that the person talking has been too lazy to read, to understand the issues, to think outside his or her tiny little world.

Ignorance certainly doesn't show favoritism, does it? It hangs out with white folks, black folks and folks of all colors in between. Do yourself and your country a favor SHOULD you decide to vote tomorrow. Look to your local paper for a profile of the candidates and what they stand for. Read, and make your own decisions. I never thought I'd say this but unless you make that very small commitment, you shouldn't vote tomorrow. Driving blind is never smart.

Sorry, I couldn't think of anything funny to say on this subject. Some things are just what they are, no spin required.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I really appreciate it and invite you back anytime!